The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on 25 January 2017 announced the winners of the Padma Awards 2017. The list comprises of 7 Padma Vibhushan, 7 Padma Bhushan and 75 Padma Shri Awardees. 19 of the awardees are women and the list also includes 5 persons from the category of foreigners, NRIs, PIOs and 6 posthumous awardees.
List of Padma Vibhushan Awardees
|K J Yesudas||Art-Music||Kerala|
|Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev||Others-Spiritualism||Tamil Nadu|
|Sharad Pawar||Public Affairs||Maharashtra|
|Murli Manohar Joshi||Public Affairs||Uttar Pradesh|
|Prof. Udipi Ramachandra Rao||Science & Engineering||Karnataka|
|Late Sunder Lal Patwa (Posthumous)||Public Affairs||Madhya Pradesh|
|Late PA Sangma (Posthumous)||Public Affairs||Meghalaya|
About Padma Awards
- Padma Awards is one of the highest civilian Awards of India instituted in the year 1954. The awards are conferred in three categories namely – Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.
🎖 Padma Vibhushan: is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service.
🎖 Padma Bhushan: is awarded for distinguished service of a high order.
🎖 Padma Shri: is awarded for distinguished service in any field.
- The awards are given in various disciplines or fields of activities including art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc.
- Padma Vibhushan is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service, while Padma Bhushan is awarded for distinguished service of high order.
- Padma Shri honours are coneferred for distinguished service in any field.
- The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year.
- These awards are conferred by the President of India at ceremonial functions which are held at Rashtrapati Bhawan usually around March/ April every year.
Eight sports persons get Padma Shri
In the list of awardees, eight eminent sports personalities of India received the Padma Shri Awards. These sports persons are:
|Vikasa Gowda||Sports-Discus Throw|
|P R Shreejesh||Sports-Hockey|
About Padma Shri Awards
- Padma Shri is India’s fourth highest civilian award, after the Bharat Ratna, the Padma Vibhushan and the Padma Bhushan.
- The awards are announced every year on Republic Day of the country.
- Padma Awards were instituted in 1954 to be awarded to citizens of India in recognition of their distinguished contribution in various spheres of activity.
- However, some distinguished individuals who were not citizens of India have also been honoured with the award. It was because of their contribution in various ways to India.
- As of 2017, 2913 people have received the Padma Shri.