🗓 Weekly One Liner Current 22 –31 January 2017
▶️ National News Updates– India
- The first Indian state to opt for electronic transmission of postal ballot to service voters in the upcoming elections Goa.
- “e-health project” has launched by the state government with support of World Bank (WB) Kerala.
▪ The project is already running in 12 healthcare institutions in Thiruvananthapuram district that will be scaled up across the state.
- The committee has submitted the report to the Union Government on Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management (FRBM) N K Singh committee.
▪ The committee has submitted its report on changes in Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management, FRBM, Act to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
▪ The five-memberr committee was set up in May last year following the announcement in Budget for comprehensive review and give recommendations on the FRBM roadmap for the future.
- Who has launched “Khelegi toh Khileg” in India Nurturing Excellence in Sports Trust (NEST).
▪ It is the pan-India initiative for girl football between the age of 10 to 15 years along with the National Yuva Cooperative Society (NYCS).
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has decided to set up weather stations in 660 districts of the country by 2019.
▪ Initially, 130 districts have shortlisted in the first phase and gradually increase it to 660 by 2019.
▪ IMD has tied up with the Union Ministry of Agriculture to use the Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs), under the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) in these districts.
- The Prime Minister Modi has approved the constitution of task force committee for preparing action plan for next three Olympic Games 2020, 2024 and 2028 8 members.
▪ The members of Task force are Pulella Gopichand (Olympian and Coach), Abhinav Bindra (Olympic Gold Medallist), Rajesh Kalra (Chief Editor,Times Group Online), G.L. Khanna (Professor and Dean), Om Pathak (School Sports Promotion foundation) , Viren Rasquinha (CEO – Olympic Gold Quest), S. Baldev Singh (Coach) and Sandeep Pradhan (Director General, Sports Authority of Gujarat).
- India’s first social luxury travel magazine “Luxury Travel Times” has launched MakeMyTrip.
▪ The mobile-only magazine is targeted at luxury travellers and is released through innovative ad platforms like Facebook Canvas & Instagram-Stories.
- Indian Navy’s largest warship has become the first warship to be equipped with its own dedicated ATM INS Vikramditya.
▪ The ATM will be provided by India’s largest public sector bank State Bank of India (SBI).
- Who has signed a memorandum of understanding with the AYUSH ministry to regulate the misleading advertisements in this AYUSH sector Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI).
- The govt. will invest how many crore rupees in North East in telecom infrastructure in the next two years 5,500 crore rupees
- The state government has organized Farmer’s Martyrs day to pay homage to the martyrs of 1894 farmers’ rising in the state Assam.
- To celebrate India’s 68th Republic Day, the world’s tallest building has lit up in the color of the Indian Burj Khalifa tower (Dubai).
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully ground tested the Cryogenic Upper Stage engine meant for the rocket GSLV-Mark-III.
▶ International News Updates – World
- Recently launched “Aoba Velox-III” satellite belongs to the country. Singapore.
▪It has been successfully launched into orbit from the International Space Station (ISS).
▪Aoba Velox-III is a joint project between Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and Japan’s Kyushu Institute of Technology (Kyutech).
- Who built the world’s largest solar park Longyangxia Dam Solar Park (China).
▪ The Longyangxia Dam Solar Park occupies 27 sq km and built at a cost of about 6bn yuan.
▪ The solar park can produce about 850 MW of power in Qinghai province.
3. As per The American Interest magazine India’s rank in the list of “Eight Great Powers of 2017” 6th.
▶ States News Updates
- The 10th edition of the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF)-2017 was held in the stateRajasthan.
▪ It is a five-day festival, appox. 250 authors, thinkers, politicians, journalist, and popular culture icons participated and the theme was “Freedom to dream: India at 70”.
- Who has been elected as president of the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) Dushyant Chautala.
▪ He is the youngest president of the apex body and his term is for four years.
▪ The Table Tennis Federation of India is the official sports body and currently ranked 30th in the world.
▪ TTFI was established in the year 1926.
- The state government has launched e-health program “Jeevan Rekha” to provide a centralized database of healthcare information Pinarayi Vijayan.
▪ The new system would help in creating a good hospital management system and patient-friendly atmosphere in hospitals.
- The state govt. has launched a scheme “Dulari Kanya” to check infant mortality in the state. Arunachal Pradesh.
▪ In Dulari Kanya scheme, govt. will deposit Rs 20,000 in the bank account of a girl child, born in any government hospital.
▪ It would be paid along with the accrued interest after she attains 18 years of her age.
- Who has launched the “Beat Marshall Monitoring Mobile App” on experimental basis The Pune City Police.
- The 2017 Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Partnership Summit has started in Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh).
▪ Around 2,000 delegates from 51 countries has taking part in the deliberations.
▶ Banking & Financial Updates
- Contactless card ‘Wave N Pay’ has been launched by the banks Punjab National Bank (PNB).
▪ This contactless credit card has been launched on Visa Platinum platform and no need to enter any PIN for transactions up to Rs. 2,000.
- The Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana (VPBY) – 2017 will be implemented through the insurance company Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
- The Committee of Chief Ministers was formed to prepare the road map for rapid adoption of digital payment method. Chandrababu Naidu committee.
▪ The committee has recommended Rs 1,000 subsidy for purchase of smartphones by non-tax assesses and small merchants and abolishment of the Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) to make digital payments cheaper than cash.
▪ Levy Banking Cash Transaction Tax (BCTT) on transactions of Rs. 50,000 and above to curb use of cash for large transactions.
- As per the Economic Survery, the agriculture sector is set to grow at this per cent during 2016-17. 4.1%.
- The Union Government expects the real Gross Domestic Products (GDP) to be in fiscal year 2018. 6.75% to 7.5%.
- The survey pegs GDP growth rate at constant market prices for the current year 2016-17 is placed at 7.1%.
- Future Generali India Insurance Company Ltd (FGIL) has announced an agency tie-up for its products with Bank of Maharashtra.
▪ Now, customers of BOM’s will be able to avail of motor, home, shopkeeper and rural insurance products at any of the 1,896 branches of the bank.
- India’s rank in the 2016 Corruption Perception Index (CPI) 79th.
▪ The list is topped by two nations “Denmark and New Zealand” and is followed by Finland, Sweden and Switzerland.
▶ Sports News Updates
- Who has won the 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Badminton tournament Saina Nehwal.
▪ She defeated Pornpawee Chochuwong (Thailand) in the final by 22-20, 22-20 in Sarawak,Malaysia.
- Who has won the Under-19 Cooch Behar Trophy 2016-17 season Bengal.
- The first Indian stadium to have stands named after war heroes Eden Gardens stadium(Kolkata).
▪ Eden Gardens stadium at Kolkata will become the first Indian stadium to have stands named after the war heroes.
- The T20 Blind Cricket World Cup -2017 hosted by the country India.
▪ T20 Blind Cricket World Cup will be hosted by India from January 29 to February 12, 2017.
- Who has become the fastest captain to score 1000 runs Virat Kohli.
▪ He took just 17 innings as captain to get the milestone.
▪ Kohli has overtaken the previous record of AB de Villiers (South Africa)-18 innings, Kane Williamson (New Zealand)-20 innings, Alastair Nathan Cook (English cricketer)-21 innings and Sourav Ganguly (former India captain)-22 innings.
- All-rounder of Australia has been adjusted Cricket Australia’s T20 International Player of the Year Shane Watson.
▪ Watson retired from international cricket just after the World T20 in India last year.
▪ He was the second highest run-getter behind all-rounder Maxwell during the voting period from 8th January, 2016 to 7th January, 2017 but bagged the award on the back of his equally potent bowling.
- Who has won the seventh national billiards championship. Pankaj Advani.
▪ He has won his seventh national title after beating Rupesh Shah 5-1 in the final.
- Who has won the 2017 Australian Open Women’s Singles title Serena Jameka Williams.
▪ She defeated her sister Venus Williams (36-years) in the final, 6–4, 6–4.
▪ This is also her a seventh Australian Open win and her 23rd Grand Slam victory since the game turned professional in 1968.
▪ Serena now stands just one Slam away from matching Margaret Court’s record of 24 Slams while eclipsing the record of Steffi Graf with 22.
- Who has won the 2017 Men’s singles Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament Sameer Verma.
- Who has won the Gold at Malaysia Masters Grand Prix -2017 title Saina Nehwal.
▪ The 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold was the first grand prix’s badminton tournament of the 2017 BWF Grand Prix Gold and Grand Prix.
- Who has won the 2017 Men’s singles Australian Open tennis tournament. Roger Federer
▪ He defeating Rafael Nadal of Spain by 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.
▪It was Federer’s first major title win after the 2012 Wimbledon.
▶ Honours & Award
- Who has won the 2016 Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in the transportation sector under the Aviation category Delhi International Airport Limited.
▪ The Delhi Airport has also been adjudged the world’s number one airport in ACI ASQ survey in 25- 40 Million Passengers Per Annum (MPPA) category for two consecutive last years.
▪ The Golden Peacock Awards instituted by the Institute of Directors (IOD), India in 1991.
- Who has been bestowed with the Venezuela’s first-ever Hugo Chavez Prize for Peace and Sovereignty for his fight for peace Vladimir Putin.
▪ The prize was created by the president of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro in honour of the late socialist leader Hugo Chavez.
- Who has been bestowed with the highest peace time gallantry decoration ‘Ashok Chakra’ Hangpan Dada.
▪ He was killed at Naugam sector in Jammu and Kashmir in May 2016 while fighting terrorists.
▪ The award was received by his wife Chasen Lowang Dada.
- Who has released a special stamp cover featuring Olympic medalists PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, and Dipa Karmakar The Indian postal department.
- Who has received NTPC award 2015-16 from the Union Power Minister, Shri Piyush Gayal.Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC)
▪ DVC Chairman Andrew W.K. Langestieh has received the prize amongst the power sectors for implementation of the official language.
▪ The Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) is a government organization which operates several power stations in the Damodar River area of West Bengal and Jharkhand states of India.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has announced how many names of recipients of the year 2017 Padma awards, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. 89 persons.
▪ Padma Vibhushan (7), Padma Bhushan (7) and Padma Shri (75).
- A scientist at the National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI) has been selected for the National Geoscience Award – 2016. Keshav Krishna.
- Noted Indian eye doctor has been selected to the 2017 Ophthalmology Hall of Fame instituted by the American Society of Cataract and Refractive SurgeryDr. Gullapalli N. Rao.
▪ He will be honored at the ceremony in Los Angeles at the annual meeting of the ASCRS on 6th May 2017.
▪ The L V Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) was established in 1987 at Hyderabad as a not-for-profit, non-government eye care institution.