5th JUNE, World Environment Day
World Environment Day is the biggest annual event for positive environmental action
- World Environment Day [WED] was designated by the UN General Assembly in 1972 on the first day of United Nations Conference on the Human Environment
- In 1974 the first WED was held with the theme “Only One Earth”, after that it is observed every year on 5 june.
- This program is hosted by a city where environmental topics are discussed including various activities.
- Now, it has been a big global platform for public outreach in more than 100 countries.
Kerala joined the nation in observing World Environment Day with the Government taking lead by distributing one crore saplings for planting across the state.
Reasons for Celebrating World Environment Day
- It is celebrated to make aware the common public about the environmental issues.
- Encourage common people from different society and communities to actively participate in the celebration as well as become an active agent in developing environmental safety measures.
- Let them know that community people are very essential to inhibit negative changes towards the environmental issues.
- Encourage people to make their nearby surroundings safe and clean to enjoy safer, cleaner and more prosperous future.
Theme of 2017 World Environment Day
“Connecting People to Nature”
- It implores us to get outdoors and into nature, to appreciate its beauty and its importance, and to take forward the call to protect the Earth that we share. This year’s theme invites you to think about how we are part of nature and how intimately we depend on it. It challenges us to find fun and exciting ways to experience and cherish this vital relationship.
- CANADA is the host country for the day this year.
- It will use World Environment Day to showcase to the world the beauty of its natural environment on land and water.