Assam govt decides to rejuvenate Barak river
The Assam government will rejuvenate the Barak river .
It has potential to revitalise trade and commerce with Bangladesh and Myanmar.
Developing the river as a major channel for water transport will help improve trade with the neighbouring countries
The Barak valley with its exquisite culture, language, customs, tradition and beauty holds a tremendous potential and Namami Barak is an attempt to pay tribute to the river’s blessings to the region.
Namami Barak festival
Barak, the gift of God has been a source of great blessing to the people of Tahamzam(Senapati) district since time immemorial. Besides irrigating crops and increasing productivity and prosperity, it has provided cleansing drainage over the ages and touched the lands along its majestic flow with charm and scenic beauty and transformed it into an eco-tourism paradise.
Highlights of the festivals
• Trekking on the theme “ Reclaiming Responsibilities” from Biisho to Senapati Mini Stadium by tribe youths and Trekking enthusiastes
• Barak Nite 1 – Entertainments, contests & deliveries
• Barak Nite Finale – Entertainment, finals of contest & prize distribution.
• Barak Voice Hunt & Barak Talent hunt
• “Barak Run” on the theme “ Reclaiming Responsibilities” from Karong ground to Senapati Mini stadium with prizes for 4 categories of runners – 16 years and below for boys and girls, 17 years and above for boys and girls with handsome cash prizes.
• Folk dance ensemble, folk song special, folk musical instruments, display and competition of indigenous skills and arts.
• Festival Tiffin
• Tribe Morungs renovation competition
• Exhibition and Sales of indigenous local produce and products, eateries, Government Department Stalls.
• Ho-hoing and yelling performance by tribes.
• Barak (Spring) Festival Declaration
The festival was scheduled to be held from November 18 to 20 next and would showcase Barak Valleys rich art, culture, trade and tourism.
During Namami Barak festival, creations of Rabindra Nath Tagore, music composer and singer Bhupen Hazarika, poet Nazrul Islam and folk singer Hemanga Biswas would be showcased and through this the bond of unity would be strengthened in the stat
The Barak River
It is one of the major rivers of South Assam and is a part of the Surma-Meghna River System. It rises in the hill country of Manipur State, where it is the biggest and the most important of the hill country rivers. After Manipur it flows through Mizoram State and into Assam, ending just after it enters Bangladesh where it forks into the Surma and Kushiyara rivers