- Health Information helpline service -Aarogya Vani(104), analysis of call records reveals the following facts:
- Out of 1, 15,220 callers sought counseling through helpline, nearly.
- Age group 15 and below – 63.17% calls were related to memory problems, exam fear and exam.
- Age group 16-24 – 73.09 %( highest percentage)- Seeking counseling for depression owing to career issue.
- Problems – family, love failure, memory, exam fear and exam failure.
NIMHANS survey related to depression among student(highlights):
- Depression is more among male students.
- Highest in the age group of 18 to 22
- Highest among those in urban areas (1.7%) than compared to rural areas (1%)
- One-third of the students with severe depression are likely to have suicidal ideations.
- Depression among the students is being increasingly recognized as a major health issue.
- The burden of depression is found to be on the rise over the years due to greater recognition, awareness and media influence.
Reasons for increase in depression:
- High expectations of parents
- Educational and exam related stress and anxiety.
- Peer group pressure and stress to perform well.
- Growing Nuclear families with lack of support.