First Aadhaar Enabled Airport In the Country to be Bengaluru
Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) has given push to its plan to make Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) the country’s first airport to have complete Aadhaar-enabled entry and biometric boarding system after a two-month pilot project in Februrary.
- The airport is expected to be completely Aadhaar-enabled by December 2018, according to the Request For Proposal (RFP) issued by BIAL.
- To confirm personal identity for airport passenger processing and access control among other things, BIAL wants to tap benefits of using Aadhaar-enabled entry and biometric e-boarding process
- With real-time authentication of passengers, entry using biometric readers can enhance security, speed up clearance and alleviate delays at the airport.
- The use of biometrics will be the only verification required at each passenger touch-point and will go a long way in improving the flow of passengers, providing a better travel experience as well as greater operational visibility for stakeholders.
- BIAL has set a 325-day deadline to implement the new system. By March 30, 2018, the project will go live as far as airport entry is concerned, and in another 90 days, under phase-2, all domestic airlines will be roped to make phase-2 live.
- By October 4, 2018, even those boarding international airline flights will be able to access the new system and by December 31, 2018, the project will be complete.