Source: The Hindu
- In a bid to strengthen capital base of public sector banks (PSBs), the government has allowed 12 lenders to raise nearly ` 3,000 crore via preferential shares over and above the Rs 22,915 crore capital support committed to them in July last year.
- The Finance Ministry granted approval to 12 proposals of PSBs to raise a sum of Rs2,914.038 crore through preferential allotment and permission given to raise Rs 200 crore by United Bank of India through QIP mode.
- The government had already infused a sum of Rs 25,000 crore in 19 PSBs during FY 2015—16.
- Zero balance accounts has been reduced to 23.86 per cent.
- Aadhaar seeding has been done in 14.43 crore account under PMJDY, while 99.9 per cent households out of the 21.22 crore households surveyed have been covered under PMJDY.
- As on December 23, 2016, out of total requirement of 1, 27,198 fixed location ‘bank Mitra’ in sub service areas (SSAs), 1, 26,985 ‘bank Mitra’ have been deployed by banks.
- Out of 1,712 claims lodged, 1,626 claims have been disposed of under accidental insurance cover of `1 lakh under RuPay debit card.