What’s in news?
- Ranking of institutions, National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), 2017 –Human Resource Development ministry, India.
- First tried attempt to rank Indian premier institutions.
- The Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru-tops the list.
- IIT-Madras ranks second, while JNU ranks sixth in the all-India list.
- The seven top IITs, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) and Benaras Hindu University (BHU) figure in the top 10.
- Indian Institutes of Management performances not upto the mark- IIM-Ahmedabad, the top business school, standing 17th, and all other IIM’s rank below 20.’
- There are separate lists within disciplines for engineering, management and pharmacy, and for universities and colleges. Among engineering colleges, the IITs at Chennai, Mumbai, Kharagpur, New Delhi and Kanpur are among the top five. Among universities, the top five are IISc, JNU, BHU, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (Bengaluru) and Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- Teaching-learning resources (student strength, faculty-student ratio, faculty qualifications and experience, financial resources and utilisation)
- Research and professional practice (publications, quality of publications, patents, projects)
- Graduation outcomes (placement and higher studies, salary, Ph.D degrees awarded)
- Outreach and inclusivity (diversity in student pool
- Perception (among peers, employers and the public).