India to host first BIMSTEC war games in September
Why in news?
India will host the first military exercise of the BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) group focusing on counter-terrorism in September. As part of this, a conclave of the Army chiefs of all seven member-states is being planned.
- The exercise is scheduled to be held in Pune in the second week of September.
- “The aim of the exercise is to promote strategic alignment among the member-states and to share best practices in the area of counter-terrorism,”
- The initial planning conference to work out the modalities is scheduled to be held next week and the final planning conference is scheduled in August.
- BIMSTEC was set up in 1997 and includes India, Bangladesh, Bhutan Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
- The theme includes counter-terrorism in semi-urban terrain and cordon and search, and each side will bring in some 30 soldiers.
- BIMSTEC countries held a disaster management exercise in 2017, but this is the first military exercise of the grouping which brings together important neighbors of India in South and Southeast Asia.
Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC)
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is an international organisation of seven nations of South Asia and South East Asia.
- The BIMSTEC member states—Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan, and Nepal—are among the countries dependent on the Bay of Bengal.
- Fourteen priority sectors of cooperation have been identified and several BIMSTEC centres have been established to focus on those sectors.
- The main objective of BIMSTEC is technological and economic cooperation among south Asian and southeast Asian countries along the coast of the Bay of Bengal. Commerce, investment, technology, tourism, human resource development, agriculture, fisheries, transport and communication, textiles, leather etc.
- BIMSTEC Permanent Secretariat is at Dhaka was opened in 2014 and India provides 33% (65% of region’s population) of its expenditure.
Q.1 Which of the following countries are member of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation
Choose the correct answer from the codes given below
- 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 only
- 2, 3, 4 and 5 only
- 1, 2, 4 and 6 only
- All of the above
Answer: c) 1, 2, 4 and 6 only