The Union Cabinet today approved the Ministry of Railways’ initiative to set up the first ever National Rail and Transport University (NRTU) in Vadodara to skill its human resources and build capability.
- A not-for-profit Company under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013 will be created by the Ministry of Railways which shall be the Managing Company of the proposed university.
- Existing land and infrastructure at National Academy of Indian Railways (NAIR) at Vadodara, Gujarat will be utilized, and suitably modified and modernized for the purpose of the university. In its full enrollment, it is expected to have 3000 full time students. The funding of the new University/Institute is to entirely come from Ministry of Railways.
The university plans to use latest pedagogy and technology applications (satellite based tracking, Radio Frequency Identification and Artificial Intelligence) to improve on-the-job performance and productivity.
- Close collaboration with the Indian Railways will ensure that the stakeholders have access to Railways’ facilities, which will work as ‘live labs’ and they will be able to work on solving real life problems.
- Indian Railways on the path of modernization through widespread technological and infrastructure upgradation.
- Contribute to ‘Make in India’ and ‘Skill India’ and help generate large scale employment
- Foster innovative entrepreneurship and support start-up India initiative Use of latest pedagogy and technology applications:
- Envisioned to be a bestin-class institute which will use latest pedagogy and technology applications
to provide high-quality education and training.
- India will emerge as a global leader in transportation sector through cutting edge technology and skilled manpower.