Indo Sri Lanka joint military exercise Mitra Shakti – 2017
The fifth India-Sri Lanka Joint Training Exercise MITRA SHAKTI 2017 started with a grand Opening Ceremony conducted at Aundh Military Station, Pune and will last on October 25, 2017.
- The Mitra Shakti series of exercises has been one of key defence cooperation initiatvies between the two countries since 2013.
- The exercise is taking place at a time when the region faces evolving security dynamics.
- The 4th edition had taken place in Sri Lanka last year.
- The training module will include weapons training, basic military tactics and complex battle strategies.
- The exercise is based on Counter Terrorist Operations and an Infantry company from both the countries is participating in the same.
Why it is important for India?
The training exercise is considered an important effort in India’s response to China’s growing influence in South Asia and the Indian Ocean region.