Industries grossly pollute Ganga
- A Recent report released by Central Pollution Control Board highlights:
- 30% of the so-called Grossly Polluting Industries (GPI), along the Ganga, is not complying with norms.
- The CPCB has identified a total of 764 major polluting industries along Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, West Bengal and Bihar.
- Tanneries comprise the bulk of polluting industries and 80% of the polluting industries are located in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand
- What are Grossly Polluting Industries?
GPIs are defined as industries that discharge more than 1,00,000 liters of waste water and/or hazardous chemicals.