The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), which is the space agency of the Government of India, has launched an app to help people know the benefits of solar power and help transition them to a life powered by solar panels and other renewable sources.
The solar calculator app can calculate the benefits of installing solar panels in different regions of the country and is very handy for installation of Photovoltaic (PV) solar panels for tapping the solar energy suited for the area.
About the app
- The app determines solar energy potential (in kWh/m2) at any given location, which is of great help in setting up photovoltaic thermal power plants
- GPS helps in pinning down the location of the user
- The app provides monthly and yearly solar potential by processing data obtained from Indian Geostationary Satellites like Kalpana-1, INSAT-3D and INSAT-3DR
- The app provides other useful information as well like elevation angles and daytime duration over different time periods in a year
- It also calculates the obstruction of sunlight due to terrain by employing Digital Elevation Model (DEM)
- In addition, the app also suggests the optimum tilt angle for the installation of solar PV
- The app provides information which is easy to understand and interpret using tables and visuals
- The complete report provided by the app can be saved by the user in the form of a PDF file
What is SAC?
- Space Applications Centre (SAC) is one of the major centres of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- It was established in the year 1972
- It primarily focuses on the design of space-borne instruments for ISRO missions
- It also develops applications of space technology, covering the fields of communication, broadcasting, navigation, disaster monitoring, meteorology, oceanography, environment monitoring and natural resources survey for societal benefits
- It is headquartered in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.