1. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has signed a 1-trillion yen, about 8.7 billion dollars, aid package over the next five years to the Philippines, meant to improve economic and political relations between the two island nations.
2. The package is focused on infrastructure and energy.
3. Abe’s two-day visit to the archipelago makes him the first foreign leader to visit since the election of the Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte in May 2016.
4. He told that we will leverage Japanese technology and know-how to the fullest extent to positively cooperate for the improvement of infrastructure in Metro Manila and the whole of the Philippines.
5. President Rodrigo Duterte issued a statement claiming that his nation and Japan would increase maritime and security cooperation.