- A visiting delegation of Members of European Parliament, said that Human rights ‘violations’ in Jammu and Kashmir must be resolved internally in India.
- David McAllister, Chair of the Committee on Foreign Affairs of the EU Parliament, clearly ruled out the need to “internationalise” the Kashmir issue.
Issue of Visa Denial
- However, while giving India its full support on the human rights issue, the delegation will take up two other thorny issues- these issues are:
1) India’s denial of a visa to a member of their delegation, and
2) A recent Home Ministry action against NGOs in India.
- On the issue of NGOs operating in India, the EU delegation said it was concerned about strictures on funding and the functioning of rights organisations.