- The Gujarat Assembly on 20 February 2017 passed the Gujarat Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2017.
- However, the Bill was passed in the absence of nearly 48 MLAs of the Congress who were suspended from the House by the Speaker for creating ruckus.
- The Bill empowers the state government to use Aadhaar number as the sole identifier for the delivery of various subsidies and benefits in an effective and targeted manner.
- The government plan to link the Aadhaar number with various schemes which will help the government create a credible system to authenticate the identity of actual beneficiaries.
- As of now, the Gujarat Government provides various subsidies and financial assistance to the citizens under 119 schemes, which is paid via RTGS or through cheques. Now with the passing of the bill, the government can ensure more accurate, targeted and efficient delivery of such disbursements using Aadhaar number.
- The bill is in the line with the Central Aadhhar Act, passed by the central government in 2016. The Central Aadhhar Act empowers the state governments to introduce similar laws for targeted delivery of subsidies and benefits by linking Aadhaar number of each beneficiary.