‘National Mission on Cultural Mapping of India’
In the year of commemoration of the birth centenary of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay, who hailed from Mathura district in Uttar Pradesh, Ministry of Culture will start implementation of ‘National Mission on Cultural Mapping of India’ from Goverdhan Block, Mathura.
The ‘National Mission on Cultural Mapping of India’
- This Mission is part of the ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ umbrella.
- The mission aims at converting the vast and widespread cultural canvas of India into an objective cultural map, designing a mechanism to fulfill the aspirations of the whole artist community of the nation and preserving the rich cultural heritage of this country in the form of a cultural repository of artists and art forms.
- This Mission encompasses data mapping, demography building formalising the processes and bringing all the cultural activities under one web based umbrella for better results.
- The Mission also seeks to open a direct channel of communication of artists with the Government and peer to peer communication among artists for talent honing and handholding of each other.
- With a vision that no cultural talent or heritage should remain unattended and if it is talent, it should be nurtured and if it is a heritage, it should be conserved and used as an icon to learn from the past, and also to propagate our cultural talent across all boundaries, the Ministry has planned to hold talent hunt competitions with various rounds from Block level to National level.
- The scheme is set to cover all the Blocks of the Country, involving a total of 6.40 Lakh villages over the span of next 3 years.
- The Ministry is planned to launch massive cultural awareness campaigns so that no artist is left behind.
- The Cultural Mapping of India portal will serve as a repository/consolidated database of information about cultural assets and resources i.e. a cultural inventory at one place for essential planning, sustainable economic development and for preserving the scattered and near extinct art forms.
- The current round includes Shimoga Block in Shimoga District, Karnataka, Thanesar Block in Kurukshetra District, Haryana, Chauri – Chaura Block in Gorakhpur District in Uttar Pradesh & Saraikela Block in Saraikela – Kharsawan District in Jharkhand.
The Ministry of Culture:
The Ministry of Culture is the Indian government ministry charged with preservation and promotion of art and culture. Mahesh Sharma is the current Minister of Culture.