National Sports Museum to be established in New Delh
The Sports Ministry has announced that it is planning to establish a National Sports Museum at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi. The decision was taken three months back and after a series of meetings, the current venue for the museum was finalized by the Sports Minister Vijay Goel, the Ministry said in a statement.
“The museum will showcase India’s achievements in sports and also focus on the traditional sports within the country.”
Goel said the museum will “act as an educational hub and offer opportunity for the young to delve into some sporting activity.”
- The aim of the museum is to popularise the sports as a way of life within the country.
- The proposed museum will go beyond the classical approach of a collection of memorabilia to
become an interactive venue of interest for all age groups.
- The museum will display achievements of the Indian greats in sports and also act as an
educational hub and o×er opportunity for the young to delve into some sporting activity.
- The proposed museum will also have audio-visual display of rules and legacy eventspertaining to various sports as part of education for the budding sportspersons.
- The museum will also house a well-equipped library of sports and physical Òtness, painting
gallery and am amphitheatre for screening of legacy matches/ contests/games.
- It will also have a cafeteria, an activity zone, a souvenir/pro shop and a play area.
- It is also proposed that the activities planned in various segments will include sporting
activities, sports related computer games and kiosks selling sports memorabilia and sports