New mixed-gender events approved by IOC for next Olympics
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) yesterday approved new events for the 2020 Tokyo Games.
- The IOC’s Executive Board made the decision at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland on Friday.
- There will be no increase in number of athletes and the venues.
- This decision is a significant step towards achieving the 50 per cent gender balance at the Olympic Games in both athletes and events.
- In next Olympics at Tokyo there would highest representation of female athletes in Olympic history.
Mixed team event for judo
- Each team will consist of 3 men and 3 women, all representing different weight classes.
Table Tennis mixed doubles competition
- The event was featured in the recent world championships in Germany.
- A Japanese pair won gold.
- It will be played for 10-minute game on a half-sized court is known for its speed.
- The International Basketball Federation adopted it as an official discipline with common rules in 2007.