Niti Aayog readies model contract farming law
- Government’s premier think-tank Niti Aayog is preparing a model contract farming law to connect farmers with the food processing industry. “Niti Aayog is preparing a model contract farming law.
- That would connect farmers to the food processing industry,” Niti Aayog Vice-Chairman Arvind Panagariya said in a Q&A on Budget 2017-18 on Facebook.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his Budget speech had said: “We also propose to integrate farmers who grow fruits and vegetables with agro processing units for better price realisation and reduction of post-harvest losses.
- A model law on contract farming would, therefore, be prepared and circulated among the states for adoption.”
- To a separate query, Panagariya pointed out that part of the 15-year vision document shares sets of issues that “concern us immediately, i.e. what we should be doing in 2017-18 and 2018-19”.