No NSG member has explicitly opposed India’s membership: Govt
- Government today said, no member of the NSG has explicitly opposed India’s membership to the grouping while certain procedural and process-related issues have been raised by a few members.
- In a written reply in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for External Affairs Gen V K Singh said India’s membership continues to be under NSG’s consideration and the government is engaged with all its members for an early decision on it.
- India’s NSG bid was scuttled by China and a few other countries on the grounds that it is not a signatory to the Nuclear non-Proliferation Treaty.
- Replying to another question, the Minister said India’s engagement with China was multifaceted and the two sides have agreed to continue to enhance mutual understanding and address outstanding issues.
- He said a new bilateral dialogue mechanism to discuss regional and international security issues has also been agreed to between the two countries.