Source: News on AIR
Norway has become the first country to cease FM radio broadcasting.
2. The northern county of Nordland has stopped broadcasting using analogue frequencies yesterday as the Government plans to roll out digital-only radio over the course of the year.
3. The national broadcaster, NRK, nationwide radio channels began switching to digital audio broadcasting that offers a wider range of broadcasting options and greater sound quality.
4. The main reason behind this technological shift is to offer a better radio service to the whole population.
5. Capital Oslo will turn off FM broadcasting in September, and the process will be completed nationwide by December
6. The move to “radio digitization” was decided by the Parliament in 2011, and a timetable was announced in 2015. Norway’s Culture Ministry estimated that it would save 25 million dollar a year.