One Liner's Current – Week 01(Jan)
🗓 Weekly One Liner Current 01 –07 January 2017
▶️ National News Updates– India
- The 104th Indian Science Congress (ISC) has started in the state Andhra Pradesh.
Note: The focal theme of 5-day annual ISC is “Science and Technology for National Development”.
- India’s first laser technology-based advanced Automatic Vechime Monitoring System (AVMS) RTO check post has set up at Gujarat.
Note: The advanced AVMS RTO check-post will provide transparent, sensitive, decisive and progressive government to the people.
- The 25th New Delhi World Book Fair (NDWBF) wil be held at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi from 7-15th January, 2017. The 2017 theme is Manushi – Books Written on and by Women.
- The 2017 Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD) will be hosted by the city Bengaluru.
- Who has inaugurated the five-day annual Indian Science Congress at the Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh) Narendra Modi.
- Who has launched a Bunkar Mitra-Handloom Helpline Centre where professional queries of weavers will be answered by the experts in the field Smriti Irani.
- The International Conference on “Yoga for diabetes” has been held in the city New Delhi.
Note: i) The 3-day conference was inaugurated by Shripad Yesso Naik, the minister of State for AYUSH (Independent Charge).
ii) The purpose of the conference is to generate discussions on the role of Yoga in the prevention and management of Diabetes and to draw up a roadmap to be adopted for the control of Diabetes through Yoga.
- The birth anniversary of 10th and last Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh being celebrated across country 350th.
Note: The main function being held at “Takht Harmandar Sahib” in Patna where Prime Minister Narendra Modi has participated in the Prakash Parva.
- The 2017 All India Conference of Waqf Boards has started in the city New Delhi.
Note: The conference was inaugurated by Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, the Minister of State (I/C), Minority Affairs and Parliamentary Affairs.
- The Union Government has approved 26% strategic stake sale in this public-sector undertaking Bharat Earth Movers Limited
- Who has launched the web portal and a Mobile App for the Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) Piyush Goyal.
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced pan-India expansion of this programme to benefit pregnant and lactating mothers across the country Maternity Benefit Programme (MBP).
- The city is going to play host to the ninth edition of Jaipur International Film Festival (JIFF) Jaipur.
- India has test-fired long range intercontinental nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-IV Surface-to-surface missile.
Note: i) Agni-IV test is aimed at re-validating new technologies incorporated in Agni-IV system and checking the readiness of armed forces to launch the missile on its own.
ii) Agni-IV is the 20 metre long and weighs 17 tonnes and carry a one-tonne nuclear warhead over a distance of 4,000 kilometre.
▶️ International News Updates – World
- India has signed a Protocol to amend the Double Taxation Avoidance Convention in January 2017 Kazakhstan.
- Who has become the first country in Europe to pay its unemployed citizens a basic monthly income, amounting to 560 euros (USD 587) Finland.
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) is sending first African-American space station crew member to space station in 2018 –Jeanette Epps.
- The Union Government has imposed an anti-dumping duty ranging from 6.30 US dollars to 351.72 US dollars per tonne on imports of jute and its products from Bangladesh and Nepal.
- The Union Cabinet of the country has agreed to sign an agreement for cooperation in field of agriculture and allied sectors Portugal.
- The company that launched the training program, named Digital Unlocked, for Indian small and medium businesses is Google.
- Union Cabinet approved to sign a MoU with this country in the field of agriculture and allied sectors Kenya.
- Who has lifted its three-year ban on import of some vegetables (bitter gourd, snake gourd and aubergines) from India European Union (EU).
▶️ States News Updates
- The Bargarh Dhanua Jatra festival has started in the state of Odisha.
Note: i) The 11-day gala event will set the stage for all mythological places related to Lord Krishna based in the ancient city itself.
ii) It is considered to be the world’s largest open-air theatrical festival.
- The state governments have signed MoU to prepare State Resident Data Base (SRDB) Haryana and Andhra Pradesh.
- A new health scheme ‘NTR Arogya Raksha’ has been launched by the state government-Andhra Pradesh.
Note: i) It will offer medical insurance to those who were not covered under any of the existing health schemes of the state government.
ii) The health scheme will provide the medical treatment to the people below Above Poverty Line (APL) at Rs.1200 premium per annum.
iii) Rs.2 lakh worth medical treatment would be provided free of cost in any 432 corporate hospitals in the state.
- Who has inaugurated 10-day Island Tourism Festival 2017 at Port Blair in Andaman & Nicobar Islands-Lt. Governor Jagdish Mukhi.
- The city who hosted the International Conference on Yoga for Diabetes- New Delhi.
- “Good Samaritan Policy” has been launched by the state / union territory Delhi government.
Note: i) Rs 2,000 and appreciation certificate will be given to people who help road accident victims in the national capital.
ii) The scheme is intended to encourage people to take accident victims in emergency situation to hospitals so that someone’s life could be saved.
- The Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry Kiran Bedi has declared ‘null and void’ Chief Minister V Narayanasamy’s order banning use of social media for the official communication.
▶️ Banking & Financial Updates
- The company has launched “Digital Unlocked” the training program for Indian small businesses Google.
The purpose of the program is to empower upcoming and existing Indian SMBs with essential digital skills which will help them to get online and use internet so as to grow their business.
- Who has launched a chat-bot service “HDFC OnChat” to allow users to make payments through Facebook Messenger HDFC Bank.
Note: i) The chat-bot will allow users to recharge their phones, pay electricity, water, gas and landline and DTH bills and even a cab from Ola or Uber from the app itself.
ii) The service is available to non-HDFC bank users as well.
- As per 2016 HSBC Expat Explorer Survey India’s rank in offering highest salaries to expats 3rd.
- Who has announced that it would launch a new one-pound coin at the end of March this year and scrap the current one pound coin by October British government.
- Who has launched a month-long campaign to promote a group personal accident insurance scheme for savings bank account-holders Karnataka Bank.
Note: i) KBL Suraksha provides coverage against all types of accidental deaths.
ii) All savings bank account holders of the bank in the age group of 18-70 years can subscribe to this scheme by paying an annual premium of Rs. 100 for Rs. 10 lakh and Rs. 50 for Rs. 5 lakh coverage.
- The government’s online payments app has become the most popular Android app in the country Bharat Interface for Mobile (BHIM).
Note: i) The app is topping the charts on Google’s Play Store in India and downloaded in 3 million times.
ii) Soon, the app will be available on iOS platform and Over 5 lakhs transactions took place since the launch of BHIM App.
iii) Aadhaar-based payments are expected to be added to the app in the coming weeks.
- As per a directive of the Ministry of External Affairs, NRIs can deposit old Rs 500 and Rs 1000 banknotes till 30th June 2017.
▶️ Sports News Updates
- A Spanish professional tennis player has won the 2016 Mubadala World Tennis Championship Rafael Nadal.
Note: i) He defeated David Goffin in the final by 6–4 and 7–6 at the Abu Dhabi International Tennis Complex in United Arab Emirates (UAE).
ii) The winner received a purse of $ 250,000.
- Who has won the gold in the 2016 World Blitz Chess Championship in Doha, Qatar Sergey Karjakin.
This was Karjakin’s first world title in blitz chess.
- The women football team has won the 2016 SAFF Women’s Championship India.
Note: i) The Indian women football team has defeated Bangladesh in the final by 3-1 in Siliguri, West Bengal.
ii) This is India’s 4th consecutive SAFF Women’s Championship title.
iii) The SAFF Women’s Championship is held in every two years and it is first time that India had hosted the tournament.
- The 2017 National Ice Skating Championship has started in the states Gurugram (Haryana).
Note: i) Approx 300 ice skaters across the country will participate in the 2-day event
ii) The winners of the competitions will receive medals and certificates along with cash prizes and for the first time, girl speed skaters will be conferred with the Vasudha trophy.
- India’s tennis singles player has announced his retirement from professional tennis Somdev Devvarman.
Note: i) He has two runners-up finishes on the ATP World Tour as his best performances on the Tour.
ii) Somdev made the finals of Chennai and Johannesburg ATP events and also won Singles and Doubles medals in Asian Games and Commonwealth Games.
- The Australian opening batsman who was recently inducted into ICC Hall of Fame posthumously is Arthur Morris.
He has become the 82nd player to be inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame.
- The first Pakistani cricketer who has become the first batsman to score test hundreds in 11 countries Younis Khan.
- Who has won the 2017 Qatar Open Men’s singles tennis tournament Novak Djokovic.
He won the match at Doha by defeating World No. 1 Andy Murray by 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
- A Frenchman has set a new world record for cycling the furthest distance in one hour for riders aged 105 or older Robert Marchand.
i) Robert rode more than 5 kilometers at an indoor venue on the outskirts of Paris.
ii) Current men’s hour record is held by the UK’s Bradley Wiggins (54.526km) which he set in June 2015.
- Indian cricketer has announced to step down as captain of Team India’s limited over cricket matches Mahindra Singh Dhoni.
- Mumbai prodigy who created history by winning all three gold medals on offer in the 1st Western Asia Youth Chess Championships Kush Bhagat.
▶️ Honours & Award
- Indian-origin British professor has been honored with the Queen Elizabeth II Knighthood Prof. Shankar Balasubramanian.
He has been honored with the Queen Elizabeth II Knighthood for his work as a co-inventor of Next Generation DNA sequencing, described as the most transformational advance in biology and medicine for decades.
- The Government of India has been awarded ‘Scroll of Honor’ to promote cashless transactions Gaurav Goyal.
Note: i) The district collector of Ajmer “Gaurav Goyal” has been awarded ‘Scroll of Honor’ by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi for encouraging cashless transactions in the district.
ii) Ajmer topped the 5 best districts to promote cashless transactions.
iii) The award was jointly given by Ministry of Information and Technology (IT) and Niti Ayog.
- The Social reformer who has been honoured by Google Doodle on her 186th birth anniversary Savitribai Phule.
- The 7th edition of Yashwant International Film Festival will be held from 20 to 26 January 2017 in Mumbai.