One Liner's Current – Week 02(Jan)
🗓 Weekly One Liner Current 08 –14 January 2017
▶️ National News Updates– India
- The 20th Edition of the National Conference for e-Governance 2016-17 has started in the city Visakhapatnam, (Andhra Pradesh).
▪️Senior Government Officers, technical experts, academicians and representatives of the industry and NGOs has participated in the event.
▪️The theme of conference is ‘Internet of Things and e-Governance’.
- The 3rd edition of 2017 National conference ‘Jal Manthan-III’ was held in the city New Delhi.
▪️The focus of the conference was to on refining policies of the Ministry to make them more people friendly and responsive to the needs of the states.
- The world’s largest street light replacement programme of India Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP).
▪️The SLNP is the world’s largest street light replacement programme, implemented by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL).
▪️Presently, the SLNP programme is running in more than 14 states.
▪️This programme save energy of over 20 crore kWh, avoiding capacity of nearly 51 MW and reducing around 1.7 lakh tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions per annum.
- Who has inaugurated the 8th Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit 2017 at Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar Narendra Modi.
▪️The purpose of the summit is to provide a platform to debate global economic and social issues on the lines of the World Economic Forum in Davos.
- India’s second Kalvari-class Scorpene stealth submarine “INS Khanderi” has been launched in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
▪️Khanderi is named after the Island fort of Maratha forces, which played a vital role in ensuring their supremacy at sea in the late 17th century.
▪️The submarine is expected to be delivered to Indian Navy by the year end.
- India’s first-ever solar powered boat “Aditya” has been launched in the state Kerala.
▪️The ‘Aditya’ is the 75-seater boat fitted with 78 rooftop solar panels.
▪️It will ferry along a 2.5 kilometre route between Vaikom and Thavanakkadavu 22 times a day.
- ‘SEZ India’ mobile app has been launched by the union ministry for special economic zones Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
▪️The app would help the SEZ units and developers to find information easily and track their transactions on SEZ Online System.
- The Chinese Mobile handset brand ‘Gionee’ has signed as the brand ambassador Virat Kohli.
▪️He will be joining Bollywood actor Alia Bhatt.
- The union railway minister Suresh Prabhu has released an Android-based mobile application named app to promote ease of ticketing through digital transactions “IRCTC Rail Connect app“.
▪️Rail Connect has been developed to bring the power of next generation e-ticketing system like high performance and enhanced security.
▪️The IRCTC Rail Connect will also be inter-connected with IRCTC AIR, Food on Track mobile apps to facilitate the booking of air tickets and food through e-catering.
- India successfully test-fired the Guided Pinaka rocket from Integrated Test Range launch pad at Chandipur (Odisha).
- The committee has submitted report on Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) to the Union Government Sumit Bose committee.
▪️The committee was constituted to study the objective criteria for allocation of resources to States and identification and prioritization of beneficiaries under various programmes using SECC data.
- The union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has inaugurated the three-day International Conference and Exhibition on Re-enforced Plastics (ICERP) at Bombay Exhibition center.
▶ International News Updates – World
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has signed pact with the country’s space agency on satellite launch technology France.
▪️The space programmes of both countries are complementary in terms of comparable size and sharing similar objectives.
▪️ISRO is the second partner of CNES, in terms of volume, after NASA.
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) has recently released its 12th edition of the Global Risks Report 2017.
▪️This year’s report will provide an outlook on the threats facing the world in 2017.
- Who has become the world’s first country to shut-down the Frequency Modulation (FM) radio broadcasting network and started its’ switching to Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) Norway.
- India and Sri Lanka has signed a Memorandum of understanding (MoU) to construct rain water harvesting sustem at a cost of 30 crore Sri lankan Rupees in northern Jaffana District 3000.
▪️3000 rain water harvesting systems at a cost of 30 crore Sri Lankan Rupees in northern Jaffna District.
- The International conference for peace talks between Israel and Palestinians will be held in the city Paris (France).
▪️Around 70 nations delegates are expected to re-affirm support for a two-state solution to the decades-old conflict.
- Who has become the first country in the world to officially recognize parkour as a sport The United Kingdom.
- The country has conferred national order of knighthood honour on former Union Minister of State for External Affairs Eduardo Faleiro. Portugal.
▶ States News Updates
- India’s largest public WiFi service has been launched by the state government Maharashtra.
▪️The facility will provide 500 Wifi hotspots across various locations like Kalanagar in Bandra, Vidhan Bhawan, Bombay High Court and Mumbai Police Commissioner’s office.
- The three-day International Kite Festival (fourth) has begun in New Delhi.
▪️Professional kite flying experts from across India like Gujarat, Maharashtra, Jaipur, Chennai, Kerala, Punjab, Delhi and the globe are taking part in the festival.
▪️A special kite making demonstration has been also organized where professional kite flyers will showcase their expertise and demonstrate the art of kite making.
- The 21st edition of National Youth Festival was held in Rohtak (Haryana).
▪️The festival has organized every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
▪️The 2017 theme of festival is “Youth for Digital India”.
- The world’s first “Gender literature festival” will be held in the state of India Bihar.
▪️It will held in the second week of Aprit 2017.
▪️The purpose of this initiative is to create a platform, to exchange ideas, and to share and learn experiences of renowned people in the field of gender-based or focused literature.
- The first-ever Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) International Dance festival has been held in the Hyderabad.
▪️Nearly 100 performers from 9 countries show cased their traditional and contemporary dance nuances.
▪️Countries including Maldives, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Philippines, Fiji, Indonesia, Azerbaijan, Malaysia and India took part in the festival.
- The Insurance company that tied up with Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) for capital support to enterprises Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
▶ Banking & Financial Updates
- India’s first international stock exchange “India International Exchange” has been launched in the city Gandhinagar (Gujrat).
▪️The new international exchange will provide electronic trading platform for companies that are going multinational.
▪️The new stock exchange will trade in all the products like the other exchanges in the world such as Singapore, Hong Kong, London, New York in currency, equities, commodities derivatives.
- The 2017 World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting will be held in the country. Switzerland.
▪️The annual meeting of 2017 World Economic Forum (WEF) will be held in Davos, Switzerland from 17th to 20th January.
▪️The theme for the 2017 WEF Annual Meeting is “Responsive and Responsible Leadership“.
- The state government will launch e-wallet “Tokapoisa.in” for cashless transaction in local language. Assam.
▪️The state government will launch its indigenously-developed e-Wallet “Tokapoisa.in” to enable the people of the state for hassle-free online transactions in local language.
▪️The e-wallet is developed by the Assam Electronics Development Corp. Ltd and is powered by Amrton and ICICI Bank.
- India’s GDP growth rate in FY 17(2016-17), as per the latest report of World Bank (WB) 7%.
- Interest rate will be offer by Airtel Payments Bank on savings accounts deposits. 7.25%.
▪️It is the India’s first payments bank and is a fully-digital and paper-free bank.
▪️In it, the accounts will be opened by using e-KYC for which customers’ Aadhar number will be required.
- Who has launched a ” Fly For Sure” sceme. Air India.
▪️The customer has to pay extra Rs. 2,000 while booking the ticket and get to board any Air India flight on the same day and same sector.
▪️The voucher will be non-refundable and can be availed on all domestic routes offered by AI.
- According to data released by the Central Statistics Office, the country’s industrial production grew in November 2016 by 5.7%.
- As per, the January 2017 Global Economic Prospects report of World Bank in 2017 the global economy will accelerate moderately to 2.7%.
- The January 2017 Global Economic Prospects report was released by World Bank.
▶ Sports News Updates
- Who has won the 38th All India Railways Woman’s Hockey championship held at SAI Centre, Bhopal. South Eastern Railway (SER).
▪️South Eastern Railway (SER) has defeated Western Railway 2-1 in the final of the 38th All India Railways Women’s Hockey Championship.
- Who has won the 2017 Aircel Chenni Open men’s doubles tournament. Rohan Bopanna and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan.
▪️They defeated compatriots Purav Raja and Divij Sharan in the final by 6-3, 6-4 at the SDAT Tennis Stadium in Chennai (Tamil Nadu).
▪️The Chennai Open is a professional tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts annually in January at the SDAT Tennis Stadium in Chennai (Tamil Nadu) India.
▪️It is currently part of the ATP World Tour 250 series of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour.
- Who has won the Best FIFA Men’s player award at the 2016 Best FIFA Football Awards in Zurich. Cristiano Ronaldo.
▪️He beat Barcelona’s Lionel Messi and Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann to the prize.
▪️Carli Lloyd of the United States was named the world’s best female player.
- The Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) Council has decided to expand the FIFA World Cup to a 48-team competition as of 2026 edition.
▪️An initial stage of 16 groups of three teams will precede a knockout stage for the remaining 32 when the change is made for the 2026 tournament.
▪️The changes mark the first World Cup expansion since 1998.
- Who has won the Under-19 British Junior Open Squash 2017 tournament. Velavan Senthilkumar.
▪️He has defeated his compatriot Abhay Singh in the final in Sheffield, England.
- Who has won the 2017 Scottish Junior Open Squash championship by defeating Colombia’s Juan Jose Torres Lara in the final at Edinburgh, Scotland. Shreyas Mehta.
- Indian hockey player has become a member of International Hockey Federation (FIH) Athletes’ Committee. PR Sreejesh
▪️The committee consists of a total of 8 current and former hockey players who have the responsibility to act as a liaison between the FIH and the athletes to make sure the players have voice in the FIH decision making process.
- Who has won the 2017 Chennai Open Men’s Singles title. Roberto Bautista Agut.
- Who has won the 3rd edition of Kolkata Open National Invitation Snooker Championship 2017. Pankaj Advani.
▪️He has defeated Aditya Mehta by 5-1 and wins the 3rd Kolkata open National Invitation Snooker Championship 2017 at the Bengal Rowing Club in West Bengal.
▪️The tournament was organised by the West Bengal Billiards Association.
- Who has won the Ranji Trophy tournament 2016-17. Gujarat.
▪️The Gujarat cricket team has won their first-ever Ranji Trophy title in the 2016–17 season after defeating Mumbai by 5 wickets in the final in Indore (Madhya Pradesh).
- Who has won the 2017 Qatar Open Men’s Singles title. Novak Djokovic.
- Who has been appointed as the new Director of West Indies Cricket Board (WICB). Jimmy Adams.
▪️Adams is the former head coach of the Kent County Cricket Club (England county) will officially take over the position for a three-year contract.
▪️Jimmy Adams played 54 Test matches for the Caribbean side and will be able to draw upon from his vast.
▶ Honours & Award
- Indian film has won the best motion picture award at the 2017 Golden Globes awards. Moonlight.
▪️The Golden Globe Awards is a major part of the film industry’s awards season, which culminates each year with the Academy Awards or Oscars.
- Indian personality has been honoured by US Embassy for Tuberculosis (TB) awareness. Amitabh Bachchan.
▪️The award has been presented by US Ambassador to India Richard R Verma to Amitabh Bachchan.
- Outgoing US President Barack Obama has awarded “Presidential Medal of Freedom” at a ceremony in his honor at the White House Vice President Joe Biden.
- Who has won the prestigious Young Travel Photographer of The Year (TPOTY) 2016. Darpan Basak.
▪️The TPOTY is the premier annual international travel photography awards for amateur, professional, and young photographers.