Source: The Hindu
- “”Wishing my Tamil friends a happy & blessed Pongal”, Mr. Modi tweeted in Tamil
- Tamil Nadu celebrated the harvest festival of ‘Pongal’ with great zeal and fervour on Saturday, with people preparing traditional food and offering prayers to the Sun God.
- The streets in both rural and urban areas of the state were decked up with ‘kolam’ ( drawings made of flour).
- People decorated their homes with mango leaves and strings of flowers.
- Special prayers were held at temples. Sweet rice (pongal), made of jaggery with rice and milk, in a traditional mud pot, was offered to the Sun God along with pieces of sugarcanes.
- The food is shared with relatives and neighbours after being offered to the Sun God.