2. In a message to his wife, Smt. Surjit Kaur Barnala, the President has said, I am sad to learn about the passing away of your husband, Shri Surjit Singh Barnala, a colleague and friend for long years.
3. Shri Barnala was a distinguished Statesman, Parliamentarian and able administrator who served the nation with great distinction in various capacities such as Chief Minister of Punjab and Governor of several states.
4. He also served with distinction as member of the Union Council of Ministers, having handled portfolios of Agriculture and Chemical and fertilisers.
5. He will be always remembered for the strong stance he took against the forces of extremism and the struggle he waged against terrorists and anti national forces in our country.
6. In his passing away, the nation has lost a patriot and a public figure who made important contribution to the maintaining of the unity and integrity of our country as well as its comprehensive development.