Railway Minister launches Mission Retro-Fitment.
The Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on Tuesday announced they will upgrade 40,000 coaches under its Mission Retro-fitment in the next five years to enhance the passengers’ travel experience, with better amenities and safety.
It is one of the largest Retro-fitment projects in the world
- Indian Railways’ 40,000 coaches will be refurbished and retrofitted in the next five years.
- By 2020, Indian Railways would provide a new travel experience to its passengers.
- It will be carried out without affecting the traffic operation.
- RSP sanction for refurbishing of 6,700 coaches are already available.
24 coaches already retrofitted have been running in Train No.15120/19 Manduadih – Rameswaram Express since 23.04.2017
- Currently, over 80 per cent coaches in service are old.
- The existing old coaches will be modified to improve total travel experience of the passengers.
- Production of new coaches have been stopped.
Facilities provided in refurbished coaches.
- World Class Ambience: The refurbished coaches will have panels with LED lights,
- Fire and smoke detection system, rounded edges for preventing injury, double acting compartment door in AC coaches.
- Bio-toilets which are Environment-Friendly
- Passenger information System such destination alarm.