Tehmina Janjua becomes Pak’s first woman foreign secretary
- Career diplomat Tehmina Janjua was today appointed as Pakistan’s first woman foreign secretary.
- Tehmina Janjua will assume the post of Foreign Secretary in the first week of March 2017
- Earlier local media reports had named Pakistan high commissioner to India Abdul Basit as the front-runner for the coveted post.
- She was presently serving as Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva.
- She holds Master’s degrees from Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad and Columbia University, New York.
- She has rich experience of working in bilateral and multilateral domains both at Headquarters and Missions abroad
- She also served as Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs during 2011.
- Janjua served as Ambassador of Pakistan to Italy from December 2011 to October 2015.
- At present she is serving as Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Pakistan to the United Nations in Geneva since October 2015.