Toys of Etikoppaka gets GI tag
Etikoppaka toys, popularly known as Lakkapidathalu in the local parlance, finally received Geographical Indication by the Registration of Geographical Indication, categorised in class 20 of the toys category. The certificate was signed on October 24 and issued on November 1.
The artisans are yet to get heavy metal analysis certificate for exporting to the US and European countries.
- These are not only popular in Andhra Pradesh but also gained their popularity all over the country and abroad over the years. But this art form suffered a setback in the last decade.
- According to the artisans, the art is more than 400 years old and it has been traditionally handed over to them by their ancestors through generations.
- The toys are unique not only in shape and form but also the material used. They are made of wood and painted with natural dyes. There is no heavy metal or toxic content and that is why it is unique.
- The natural dyes are prepared from seeds, lacquer, bark, roots and leaves.
- The wood used is from ‘Ankudi Karra’ (Wrightia tinctoria) tree that is soft in nature and the art is also known as turned wood Lacquer craft.
- The Etikoppaka toys now join the elite products from Andhra Pradesh such as Kondapalli toys, Bobbili Veena, Tirupati laddu, Srikalahasthi Kalamkari, Uppada Jamdani sarees and Shadow puppets.
A village on the left bank of the Varaha River in Visakhapatnam district (also called Vizag) in Andhra Pradesh, India. Etikoppaka means, a group of houses on the river side
. It is 65 km from Visakhapatnam.
What is a geographical indication?
A geographical indication (GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
In order to function as a GI, a sign must identify a product as originating in a given place. In addition, the qualities, characteristics or reputation of the product should be essentially due to the place of origin.
Since the qualities depend on the geographical place of production, there is a clear link between the product and its original place of production.