Donald Trump, the President of United States called for a merit-based immigration system during his first address to Congress on 1 March 2017. Trump stated that countries across the world like Australia and Canada have a merit-based immigration system and its introduction in the US would help save millions of dollars and raise the worker’s wages and in turn help many struggling families including the immigrant ones to enter the middle class.
Key Highlights from Trump’s address
- According to Trump, the current system offers very less wage to the poorest workers and puts immense pressure on the taxpayers.
- Trump believes that a real and positive immigration reform is possible as long as it focuses on improving job and wage prospects for the Americans to strengthen the country’s security and restore the respect for laws.
- The introduction of the system is expected to bring back millions of jobs, raise wages and help the unemployed.
What this means for India
- The suggested system could benefit high-tech professionals from India, as Indian IT professionals account for the largest number of foreign nationals coming to the US on H-1B visas.
- H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows American employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in occupations that require special expertise.
- Besides this, Indians also account for a large number of foreign workers coming to the US as doctors, scientists, engineers and other high-skilled professionals.
- Several technology companies depend on these visas to hire thousands of employees every year.